Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Just a quick pop in to wish all the Mothers in the world a wonderful upcoming Mom's Day.

In honor of Mother's day I created the following layout:


This layout was inspired by the Playing with Punches course I took at My Creative Classroom (Also, check out their Haiti Benefit Class).
All the scalloped circles and butterflies were punchies from scraps. Have you noticed all the butterflies in paper crafts right now. I just had to punch some out also. Here's a close-up.


I also made a cutsie Mother's Day Card. I used the Cricut Straight from the Nest for the birds and I stamped the ribbon. The three birds represent my Mother's three children.


Then I was in a card making frenzy and made a couple more cards just for fun. The one below is very dimensional but I didn't take a very good pic of it. The butterflies here were stamped and cut out, not punched.
This one was made with the Cricut Create a Critter. At first, I did not know what the accessories for this image were. Then I asked my DH and he figured out it was a skirt! I can't believe he could figure that out and I couldn't! I cut the band of the skirt and center of the flower out of foil paper. That's why it looks a bit strange in the photo and the mat looks lopsided. Anyway, isn't she just adorable?

These projects made me realize something very interesting about myself. I realized I love to scrap more than I like to make cards. Card-making is a beautiful craft and offers instant gratification but I feel I've accomplished something more important for me when I create a scrapbook layout. I will look at it again and again and admire it more so than I do a card.

You usually have to give a card away after you've worked so hard to make it. Do the people you give the card to truly appreciate the effort you put into it? Do they keep it forever? I can go back to my scrapbooks and appreciate every little thing I did on that page. I can remember my mistakes and what I did to correct them. I can remember how long it took me to find the perfect paper or the perfect embellishment to go with the pictures. And you know what? When you're gone, someone is going to treasure those scrapbooks. There's something so gratifying about that.

I've also noticed more blogs and challenges changing gears towards card-making, even when they claim they have scrapbooking or show scrapbooking in their menu. There's still a large group of us scrapbookers out there and we love to share ideas and see some of your ideas for layouts. Please don't forget about us.

There's a great little group of us at Scrapaholics.ning.com. We are in the middle of working out some changes but we would love to share ideas and shopping tips with you.


Have a good one!




Read more: http://www.mylivesignature.com/wizard2_2.php#ixzz0nDWojQ9m







1 comment:

Pryn said...

What a fabulous layout Cat!!! Love what you did with the punches! Butterflies are one of my favorite things so I am enjoy that they have some staying power in the world of scrapbooking and cards.

Your cards are adorable too! I bet they were a big hit :)